Thursday, May 27, 2021

1958 String of Pearls

Tommie introduced me to the Glenn Miller Band in 1958, Moonlight Serenade and String of Pearls.   I was a 10 year old country boy from Monte Vista Colorado landing in the big city, Los Angeles of 1957. I'd never had dinner at a restaurant, but thanks to my uncle Jake and my Grandfather Federico, exceptional hunters, we had a constant stream of venison, elk, rabbit, and duck. But life was about to change dramatically.

It must have come from her parents, Jotaro and Taka Ishihara, because my mother started me on the violin almost as soon as I arrived in California. It was hard to listen to me play the violin. It was so hard my mother asked me to close the bedroom door, and play in the bathroom after closing that door as well.  Soon she bought a trumpet for me as I joined Mr. Ross and his Concert Band.  My Monte Vista, Colorado childhood world was about to open in ways too subtle to detect.  

Tommie introduced me to her favorite drummer: Gene Krupa (solo: scroll to 3:38)




Then she introduced me to the Glenn Miller Band and Moonlight Seranade and...




and String of Pearls...

But my favorite moment was the first time my mother introduced me to 
Rhapsody in Blue.  
 






No comments:

Post a Comment

1945 Alexander Fleming awarded Nobel Prize

1945 Howard Florey, Alexander Fleming and Ernst Chain are awarded the Nobel Prize “for the discovery of penicillin and its curative effect i...